Hurley Asthma Clinic
The following describes asthma and methods for treating pediatric asthma. For specific information regarding your child’s health and treatment options, please contact your Hurley physician or medical professional.
Hurley Asthma Clinic: the very best asthma care in the region for your child
If your child has asthma, Hurley Asthma Clinic is one of the best children’s asthma programs anywhere. With educational programs, Asthma Disease Managers, community events, interaction with schools, personal home visits, and asthma camps for children, Hurley is having great success helping children control or prevent asthma and stay healthy.
Our doctors and respiratory therapists work with you, your child, and your family as a team to manage your child’s asthma. They will:
- examine your child to find out as much as we can about his/her asthma
- show your child how to use the inhaler correctly
- refer you to a Hurley Asthma Disease Manager (if needed) to assess your home for
- riggers that can aggravate your child’s asthma
- keep in touch with you to see how your child is doing, if his/her medicine needs to be changed, and if your child needs to see a doctor
For kids: asthma website and videos
We’ve created a website just for kids with asthma. Click here to:
- learn how to control your asthma
- recognize asthma attack warning signs
- learn how to use your inhaler the right way
- learn how to eliminate asthma triggers
- learn about Hurley Asthma Camp
- find games, books, puzzles, and ideas for school projects
- watch 2 videos starring real kids
We also have two videos starring kids!
1. To watch a video showing you how to get rid of asthma triggers in your house, click here.
2. To watch a video about kids learning how to use their inhalers correctly, click here.
Hurley’s Asthma Disease Management Program
Hurley offers the region’s only home-based Asthma Disease Management Program, recipient of a national EPA award in 2009. Hurley Asthma Disease Managers:
- teach the community about asthma
- conduct neighborhood asthma screenings
- make home visits to help get rid of asthma triggers and provide education
- are resources for physicians
- help you find an asthma doctor if you don’t have one.
Hurley’s Bronchopulmonary Disease (BPD) Clinic
Hurley’s Bronchopulmonary Disease Clinic, part of the Hurley Asthma Clinic, treats babies with lung damage resulting from premature birth. For more information, call (810) 262-2130.
Smoking and asthma
If you have asthma, smoking is not only very bad for you, it will make your asthma worse. Smoking (and breathing in second-hand smoke) irritates your airways and makes asthma attacks happen more often. Smoking also lines your lungs with tar, which damages them for the rest of your life. At Hurley, we can help you stop smoking. For more information about our smoking cessation classes, contact the Hurley Respiratory Therapy Department at (810) 262-9218 or click here.