Swallowing Small Batteries Is A Big Danger For Children
Dec. 15-Small children are at serious risk of swallowing "button batteries" which can get stuck in their throats, causing choking or even worse, severe throat burns and possibly death.
Hurley and Safe Kids Greater Flint are spearheading local efforts for “The Battery Controlled,” a national partnership between Safe Kids Worldwide and Energizer that shares life-saving information with parents and caregivers about the potential risks of swallowing coin lithium batteries. In 2010 alone, more than 3,500 "button batteries" swallowing cases, including 18 deaths, were reported to U.S. poison control centers, according to the National Capital Poison Center.
The most serious injuries are usually associated with the 20 mm diameter coin lithium battery. In the majority of swallowing incidents among children, the batteries are from remote control devices.
Dr. Rima Jibaly, Hurley Children’s Hospital Gastroenterologist, said, “These coin-sized button batteries can get stuck in the throats of children. The saliva immediately triggers an electrical current that causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. In some cases, children have died from their injuries."
“Once the burning reaction begins, it can continue even after the battery is removed," said Dr. Brian Nolan, Director, Hurley Pediatric Critical Care Unit. "This can paralyze vocal chords or form an abnormal connection between the esophagus and trachea (wind pipe). Repairing that damage is painful and can require feeding tubes, breathing tubes and multiple surgeries.”
Lew Moquin, Safe Kids Greater Flint Coordinator, explained that "parents and other caregivers often don’t realize that coin-sized button batteries are included in devices they buy. Too often, these devices are left within reach of young children. Car keys with electronic fobs, for example, are often shared with children for their amusement. The batteries inside, if swallowed, can get stuck in a child’s throat and cause serious injury or death.”
These batteries can be found in just about any device
Coin-sized button batteries, approximately the size of a nickel, are found in everyday devices such as:
- Mini remote control devices that unlock car doors and control portable DVD players, MP3 speakers and other devices
- Bathroom scales
- Reading lights
- Flameless candles
- Talking and singing books and greeting cards
Don't let children play with electronic devices
Many of these potentially-deadly batteries are often inside compartments within electronic devices. However, because many of these devices are not children’s toys, the battery compartments are easy to open. Small children often have easy access to these devices and enjoy playing with them, and many parents do not know there is a risk. In a recent survey by The Battery Controlled, 66% of parents responded that they have not read, seen or heard anything about the risks of coin-sized button batteries and 56% said their children seem to like electronic devices more than their own toys.
Serious complications and deaths are increasing
The number of cases where children have been seriously hurt or have died as a result of swallowing a button battery has more than quadrupled in the past five years (2006-2010) compared to the five years prior (2001-2005).
Preventative steps for parents and caregivers
- Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure. Strong tape is one option.
- Keep button batteries and devices that use them out of reach of small children if the battery compartments aren’t secure.
- Go to the emergency room immediately if swallowing is suspected.
- Tell others about this threat and share these steps.
Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at (202) 625-3333 for additional treatment information.